mardi 16 octobre 2012

Body Image


I chose to represent the medicalization of childbirth, and show the control over women’s bodies and choices. Media plays a big role in advertizing the medicalization of childbirth and tarnishing the image of midwives and homebirth. They promote the image of perfect childbirth; in a hospital, on the back, with a doctor and sudden complications that lead to C-Section.

 Hollywood actresses are part of the medialization of the C-Section as the new trend, a fashionista thing, and a symbol of the new modern woman trying to find a free time in her busy schedule to give birth to her child. They schedule their childbirth, enter the hospital and they are out in few hours holding their babies happy, in shape on their high heel, smiling: “why do you have to suffer when you can take the easy way, look at me I did it!”   

I have chosen Victoria Beckham because she had three C-sections. I have chosen this picture because she is holding her baby and she seems worried. I associated her worries with the dangers of having multiple C-sections; physically and mentally. As if she is aware of those dangers and wants to raise awareness and change the situation but still it should be in accordance with her husband’s needs. The notion of control is still there, it has to fit her husband’s schedule, the obligation to accommodate women with men, society or institutions’ needs.    

 

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire